> ## Content Index
> Fetch the complete content index at: https://www.smdp.com/llms.txt
> Use this file to discover other available public pages before exploring further.

# LOS ANGELES – California military base still closed following big quakes
- URL: https://www.smdp.com/los-angeles-california-military-base-still-closed-following-big-quakes/
- Published: 2019-07-10T11:35:31.000Z
- Updated: 2024-12-04T14:14:13.000Z
- Author: news
- Tags: Community, News, military base, mojave desert, Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, quakes, Spokeswoman Margo Allen, #wp, #wp-post, #Import 2025-11-06 12:50

A sprawling military base in the Southern California desert remains closed to non-essential personnel as damage assessments continue following last week’s powerful earthquakes.

Spokeswoman Margo Allen said Tuesday that teams have so far surveyed just 10% of the 1,200 facilities at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake. It’s unclear when personnel and their families will be able to return.

Two strong quakes — a 6.4 and a 7.1 — struck Thursday and Friday near Ridgecrest, just outside the 1.2-million-acre base in the Mojave Desert.

Water and gas service have been restored, but engineers are making sure buildings are safe to enter. Allen says the shaking cracked walls in a chapel and school and brought down commissary shelves.

She says one person suffered a minor foot injury.

Some personnel were evacuated to the naval base in Ventura County.

Associated Press