Legendary aircraft manufacturer Donald Douglas had already designed a groundbreaking World War I bomber when he began manufacturing military planes in an abandoned movie studio in the fields of Santa Monica in 1922.
CITY HALL — A private developer will be allowed to seek tax exempt bonds through the state to finance three controversial senior housing projects in Santa Monica, the City Council affirmed Tuesday.
DOWNTOWN L.A. — A pair of imprisoned gang members has been found guilty of murdering two brothers who were gunned down more than a decade ago while visiting their cousin’s clothing store on Lincoln Boulevard.
Those who would like to submit entries for the fifth annual Green Prize for Sustainable Literature have until April 30 to do so, city officials said. The Green Prize is sponsored by the Santa Monica Public Library and the city of Santa Monica’s Office of Sustainability and the Environment.
The Santa Monica Red Cross’ “Red Tie Affair” held at the Fairmont-Miramar Hotel on Saturday raised roughly $375,000, according to preliminary estimates.
Members of the Santa Monica College Faculty Association voted unanimously last month to give financial support to the victims of the Japan earthquake and tsunami, pledging $1,000, officials with the college said.
SAINT JOHN’S — Nurses at Saint John’s Health Center have formally petitioned the National Labor Relations Board to hold a union election, a step organizers say is a decade in the making.
SUNSET PARK — Santa Monica police shot and killed a homeless man who was attempting to murder his ex-girlfriend, stabbing her repeatedly in the chest with a knife before two officers climbed through an apartment window and fired several shots, authorities said Wednesday.
CITYWIDE — Doormen at some of Santa Monica’s most luxurious hotels are continuing to pressure cab drivers to pay them bribes or “cookies” in exchange for more lucrative fares, a long-standing practice that is now illegal under City Hall’s new taxi franchise system, according to interviews with drive
CLEVELAND — A suspect in an explosion at a California synagogue was charged in federal court on Tuesday with fleeing to avoid prosecution after the blast last week that shattered windows and punched a hole in a building.
CLEVELAND — The suspect in an explosion at a California synagogue has agreed to return from Ohio to face charges. Sixty-year-old Ron Hirsch waived a detention hearing Wednesday afternoon.
DOWNTOWN — The former director of a small private school here that was forced to file for bankruptcy in November used school funds to pay personal expenses and put her husband and son on the payroll even though it was unclear what services they provided, according to a lawsuit filed last week.