CITY HALL — Bio-tech firm Agensys on Wednesday cleared a major hurdle in its bid to build its headquarters on a City Hall-owned lot near Bergamot Station, avoiding heavy criticism of its proposal during a hearing before the Planning Commission.
DOWNTOWN — The Santa Monica Democratic Club and Santa Monicans for Renters’ Rights, the city’s leading political party, may support many of the same principles, but that doesn’t mean both groups will necessarily be rooting for the same local candidates this November.
In a few weeks, the 2010 election season will begin in earnest. Most serious candidates have been working on their campaigns for months and a lot of ducks are already in rows.
WEST L.A. — U.S. Rep. Henry Waxman (D-30th District) told local officials and neighborhood activists at a meeting this week he will insist that the FAA conduct an environmental impact study if it plans to make changes to flight rules at Santa Monica Airport, calling it “the right thing to do.
CITY HALL — The City Clerk’s Office released the official list of candidates who have qualified for this November’s ballot on Thursday, setting the final lineups for contests to decide the makeup of the Santa Monica City Council and school board.
CITY HALL — The Planning Commission has recommended creating new penalties for developers who fail to abide by affordable housing rules, an action sparked by recent revelations some local landlords did not verify income eligibility before leasing low-income units while others failed to provide promi
The Santa Monicans for Renters’ Rights annual convention Aug. 1 was a hoot and a half. SMRR members voted to endorse candidates for City Council, Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District Board of Education, Santa Monica College Board of Trustees and the Rent Control Board.
We are intrigued by the reactions to the Santa Monicans for Renters’ Rights convention held last Sunday at John Adams Middle School. Apparently there are some pretty peeved people out there who feel that the convention was hijacked by North of Montana homeowners and education advocates who came out
CITY HALL — A handful of Santa Monica City Council and school board candidates opened up big fundraising leads during the first half of the year while most hopefuls in November’s election had yet to begin raising money, campaign disclosure statements show.
CITY HALL — Five-term City Council incumbent Bob Holbrook on Monday said he plans to seek re-election to a four-year term, ending speculation he might challenge council colleagues Gleam Davis and Terry O’Day for a two-year seat in November’s election.
JAMS — It was a bad year for incumbents at Sunday’s Santa Monicans for Renters’ Rights convention, with one sitting City Council member and two incumbent school board members failing to win endorsements from the influential political party.
CITY HALL — In a move that could have big implications for November’s City Council election, five-term incumbent Bob Holbrook has announced he may run for a two-year seat on the council instead of a full four-year term as previously expected.